Face shape experimentation

..does it? Am I nerdy? YES this means more experiments people!

Here is an amazing image I found on google I call it my 'bible' to tribal facial patterns! It seems all these face pattern templates quite simply highlight each section of the face, it also looks as though there is a common reoccurrence of bright primary colours too.




Obviously I don't want to copy one of these exactly, but it has helped my mind explore all the options there are to creating the patterns on the face. So from looking at this template image I decided to do a few experiments on myself, I personally find simply spontaneously going for it and designing on my own face has always worked for me.


So i started by simply painting lines on my face with a fine makeup brush and used supra colour's burgundy red.I found by outlining the different areas on the face like the cheek bone etc it gave some good definition lines. The lines made the pattern on the face very 'blocked', and from the face templates above a lot of the colour involved is blocked too so i decided to throw in some colours and play around with what colours complimented others etc.

I specifically liked the bold white, green and red on the tribal look's I have researched so far. Especially as I feel the green represents earth and the red human (human blood). So due to the fact that so many tribal cultures praise this earth I think these colours give some meaning rather than just being a colour I liked. I tested a few shades of the green and started to block in the shapes i'd created through the lines, the block colour I really liked but the shapes were too simple, especially for editorial I thought they could definitely be more creative than that!

Thinking about what I have been researching recently, especially for my editorial tribal look, the Native American tribe is looking more and more intriguing. Something to consider with the Native American look is their excessive use of the colour red! I find red to be a raw, edgy colour, the type of colour I need to give many tribal factors justice (like scarring etc). One major factor to consider when relating this look to Native American's is feathers! Feathers are key when representing this tribal look, feather's were mainly used for the headdresses many Native American's wore, also used in the hair and as many other accessories. Feathers were collected by people within the tribe to give a spiritual significance.


So the lines started to become boring and (however unflattering these pictures are) by simply breaking them up i found that the lines could highlight the bone structure of the face; from the bone surrounding the eye to outlining the cheek bone. Using the corners of the face I simply flicked out the edges to add something else to the look, rather than just fading out the red. As I continued to enhance this pattern the feather idea came to mind, and instead of just using feathers on accessories they could be put onto the face. To me the link for these feathers for Native American's is from human to animal, so to include this in my makeup look would enhance the 'tribal' factor even more!



No comments:

Post a Comment