Contemporary Tribal Art

Who love's art? Me! Me! Me!

Damien Hirst is an english artist renowned for his artistic sculptures, one in particular caught my eye; this skull covered in diamonds called 'For the Love of God'. After looking at my market research I found this skull sculpture to be intriguing, as this is yet another example of tribalism being designed to fit into today's trends. This piece reminds me of poverty which occurs daily within tribes, and the bodies left to rot in the wild. It also reminds me of the human sacrifices which seem to be so crucial within the religion of tribes. This is why the skull is controversial as something so raw is covered in diamonds. The diamonds themselves represent the contrast of the rich and poor, death and life, yet at the same time combines the contemporary fashion, to the original trends which still remain in tribes today.




Here is a image I found on Tumblr posted by beauty-of-africa, straight away after researching Damien Hirst it brought me straight back to the idea of controversy between the glamorous life of today and the raw way of life for a typical person in a tribe. Obviously this image isn't as extreme as Damien Hirst's piece but the fact that this young girl has diamonte pieces stuck to her face proves that tribes today are crossing paths with the rich and westernised world. As the emotional person I am, it is also quite a sad concept to see, as the difference between rich and poor in this world is quite large.




Here is a video by Caroline Saulnier, the first model completely represents what i've researched from the Damien Hirst Sculpture; bringing the raw basics from tribes today to the western world. Again this back's up my concept of the ever growing popular skull pattern, common in today's high street shops! I absolutely adore the quirkiness of this video! It adds a new raw edge to my perception of tribalism!

No comments:

Post a Comment