Happy Halloween!

My random fascination for Mexican Sugar Skulls..



As I was previously looking at skulls, and the Halloween holiday has just been around the mexican sugar skull came to my attention. The 'day of the dead' is celebrated by Mexican's on the 1st and 2nd of November. On these days it is believed that the gates of heaven are open to all the dead child spirits to reunite with their family's for 24 hours.


Here is an image of my housemate on halloween, this showed me that such cultures can take something so simple (a skull) and turn it into something completely different. Using this example imparticular it definitely shows contrast between the violence some tribes go through to gain their look compared to this where something not pleasant like a skull is transformed into something beautiful (LIKE THE DAMIEN HIRST SKULL SCULPTURE!!) I believe that tribal communities celebrate life and death so much, they really embrace the circle of life which others do not! Including me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment